New Sunday Service
ASPIRE (All Saints Parents Infants Relatives Everyone)
11.30am : All Saint's Hall
Messy Church aimed at parents with young children
1st Sunday of the Month
10am All Saint's
11.30am St Patrick's
St Patrick's – Holy Communion
(Shared with St Cedma's during July and August)
The Rev Roger Q Thompson, rector, Cairncastle Rectory, 15 Cairncastle Road, Ballygally, Larne, Co Antrim, BT40 2RB.
Telephone: 028 2858 3220 (h); 028 2826 9552 (o)
A bit about us:
St Patrick's Church:
The earliest evidence of a church in Cairncastle parish is a reference in Taxatio Ecclesiastica [c.1306]. The ancient graveyard contains an impressive Spanish Chestnut tree, linked in local folklore to a drowned sailor washed up from a wrecked Armada ship in 1588. Inside the church there is a font reputedly used by Jonathan Swift [of Gulliver's Travels fame] who was Rector of nearby Kilroot in 1695/6.
The present Church was built in 1815 and the Chancel was added during reconstruction work in 1891. The east window was also erected at this time, in memory of William Chaine [local MP]. This stained glass is a fine example of the craftsmanship of the Mayer Company, of Munich and London. In 1901 the spire was added to the tower, and electricity was installed in 1954! The present Rectory [15 Cairncastle Road, Ballygally] was built in 1938 with funds partly provided by a legacy from William Chaine. In 1992 the parish was united with All Saints' Church, Craigyhill and in 1993 a Sunday School/Vestry Room extension was built on.
In 1913 members of the parish co-founded a school in the nearby village of Millbrook where regular church services were also held, and in 1948 a small Hall was constructed there for Sunday worship. The congregation met in Millbrook for 53 years before the Hall was finally closed in 2001.
In 2006 a major conservation programme was undertaken at St Patrick';s with the help of a £94,000 grant from The Heritage Lottery Fund. The church was re-dedicated by Archbishop Alan Harper on his first Sunday in office, 4th February 2007.
All Saints' Church:
This church was built in 1962 to provide a worship-centre for the Church of Ireland community on the newly-built Craigyhill estate in Larne, with a hall added in 1971. Since 1956 this congregation had been meeting in one of the two chapels at Larne Cemetery. Originally a daughter church of the parish of St Cedma's, All Saints was united with St Patrick's, Cairncastle in 1992, to form a new parish grouping. The first Rector of this new combined parish was Rev Bill McNee, former curate of Larne & Inver Parish.
In 2002 the church was re-roofed and extended, and the 40th Anniversary was celebrated with a visit by the then Archbishop of Armagh, The Most Rev Robin Eames.
In 2011 the Church Hall was renovated with the help of a £50,000 grant from the International Fund for Ireland as part of the 'Maximising Public Spaces Crossing Borders' programme, administered by the Rural Development Council. We now have a new kitchen, disabled access ramp and toilets and are taking steps to make the facility available to all sections of the community. The Hall was re-dedicated by Archdeacon Stephen Forde on September 22 2011 at a special cross-community celebration attended by choirs from two local schools, Linn Primary and St Anthony's.
Organisations in the parish:
All Saints Sunday Club
St Patrick's Sunday Club
Guides (All Saints Hall, alternate Mondays)
Ladies Fellowship (All Saints Hall, first Monday of month)
Rainbows and Brownies (All Saints Hall)
Tuesday and Thursday
Bowls Club(All Saints Hall)
St Patrick's Church, Ballymulluck Rd, Cairncastle. All Saints' Church, Linn Road, Craigyhill.
Directions to the church:
Directions to All Saints
Leave Belfast on M2 [signs for Larne]
Exit at J4, take A8 for Larne
Pass through Ballynure
When arriving at Larne go straight on at first roundabout
At next roundabout take first exit [signs for Antiville]
You will see The Highways Hotel on your left
Take 2nd left onto Linn Road
Pass Shops/Garage on your left
Follow Linn Road up through several mini-roundabouts
All Saints' church is on the left after the Lindara Housing Development, at the
Junction of Churchill Road and Linn Road.
Directions to St Patrick's
Leave Belfast on M2 [Signs for Larne]
Exit at J 4, take A8 for Larne
When arriving at Larne, at first roundabout take 1st exit [signposted Millbrook, Cairncastle]
Follow this road up through Millbrook, round S bend, to T junction at top
Turn right and follow road for approx 3 miles following signs for Cairncastle
Church is on the left after a right hand bend - park on roadside.