Rev. Peter Galbraith (Rector)
028 9262 1229
A bit about us:
The church of St Matthew was erected as a chapel of ease to cover the Broomhedge area. The foundation stone was laid in 1839, the church was in use by 1841 and was formally consecrated in September 1848.
It was served by curates from Lisburn Cathedral until 1867 when Maurice Knox McKay was appointed a ‘perpetual curate.’
The Parish of Broomhedge was established in 1880 with the Rev John Leslie as the first rector. He was to serve until his death in 1927, and his ministry had a profound effect on the parish and area.
In 1951 the Bradbury Memorial Hall was erected to serve the needs of the parish and rural community. It was replaced in 2001 with a modern church hall after great efforts from parishioners and friends.
Those who have ministered in Broomhedge have been Rev WRN Ruddock 1928-1952; Rev G Mitchell 1953-1958; Rev F Rusk 1959-1965; Rev JFM Moore 1966-1983; Rev G Graham 1983-1990; and Rev Peter Galbraith 1991-present.
The parish has become less rural over the past 10 years, and is now popular with commuters, almost a suburb of Lisburn. The people of St Matthew’s aim to reach out to all and seek to provide a broad range of organisations and a variety of types of worship. The 21st century has already brought many changes and under Christ the parish is seeking to move ahead in faithfulness to the Lord.
The parish has an ongoing link to SAMS, the South American Mission Society, and supports the Finch family who serve with CMS in Kiwoko, Uganda.
Organisations in the parish:
Church Lads’ and Church Girls’ Brigade, Youth Fellowship, Music Group, Bowling Club, Choir, Mothers' Union, Craft Club, Prayer Group, Bible Study.
30 Lurganure Road
A map of where we are
Directions to the church:
St Matthew’s Church is located four miles from the center of Lisburn on the Lurganure Road, off the main Moira Road. From Moira direction, take the Lisburn exit off the Moira roundabout. After two miles turn right into Church Lane, which leads to the church.